One of the things I love about Montessori is the older/younger combination of children. Young children learn SO much from older children and vice versa. The "little kids" learn from the big kids in ways a teacher could never convey and the "big kids" learn to lead the little kids with patience and love.
A small-scale example of this is siblings. Although Jay and Betsy bicker, (especially vying for grandparent attention) for the most part they play happily together. When they do bicker it BREAKS my heart, but when they read/play/converse together it fills me with SUCH gratification and pride. For in the home, among siblings, is the first place children naturally instruct, listen, negotiate, solve conflicts, practice fairness, deal with not getting their way and (in a brother/sister case) learn how to treat the opposite sex with respect. Basically, that the world doesn't revolve around these little Neanderthals!
As Betsy continues to express herself more and as Jay grows more patient, there is much more sibling collaboration than sibling rivalry. After a morning of quiet play, as we headed out for church this Sunday, Jay turned to Betsy, and with complete sweet sincerity said, "You look beautiful Bet." MELT my heart!

3 comments:
Priceless! I see you changed your book reading icon on the side. I hope you enjoy the book. I have plenty more for you...
Jay is SO sweet...
PS - Are they playing in a chest of drawers?
I read this and out loud said "Awww"! You don't have to convince me that Jay Brown has the makings of a Southern Gentleman...my heart melts everytime he stops to say hello to Ruth Ann...that's one sweet little boy and I'm thankful he'll be a role model to our kiddos!
Post a Comment