Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Girls...

There is a bond that is created the first year of college.  It's the first year you are on your own and in that first vulnerable semester, you reach out to friends that you will be bonded to for life.  Last weekend I got together with my college girls for SATC2 and we had a BLAST.  EVERY time we get together we laugh until I get the hiccups...multiple times...For the moments we are together I am transported back to Wade Hampton, running through the dorm halls barefoot, like no time has gone by...


...But time HAS gone by.  These girls are turning into women that I am SO PROUD of!  On Mother's Day weekend I had the privilege to attend ALL three of their higher-ed graduations.  I want to blog about it and brag on them, because they are the type of people that don't brag on themselves.  That's one of the reasons I love them.  They are truly and inspiration to me!

Inspiration #1:  Johanna had a beautiful graduation ceremony on the Horseshoe.  She graduated Magna Cum Laude from USC Law School.  Among numerous other awards, she was awarded that big metal around her neck.  That metal basically says that, out of her whole class, three were chosen as "the best".  It's the highest law school honor and she and two other guys were awarded it.


Did I mention that she has two children...and had one of the children while IN law school (he shares a July 4 bday with Jay!)...and breastfed...and is an amazing mother...She is truly an inspiration to me.  I have been spoiled that she's been right here in Cola., sharing the JOY of motherhood with me, the fabulous instruction of Montessori with me and just flat out being there for me when I needed her.  She's moving on to Anderson for a clerkship with a federal judge...a BIG deal...and I'm going to miss her like crazy.  I have a feeling that after her clerkship she will be moving on to a city far-far away from here...


Inspiration #2: DOCTOR Erin M.!  Erin and I were pot-luck freshmen roomies.  I remember buying an eye-thingy to put over my eyes at night (Mom's suggestion) because Erin was up all night studying freshman year.  I remember going over to my grandparent's house that first month and saying "My roomie is REALLY nice, but she studies with the light on ALL night!"  Well, all that studying paid off and she's headed to UK for her residency...I'm going to miss her like crazy!  She is one of the few people who KNOWS me.  Really knows me.  You can't LIVE with someone for four years and NOT know the other person.  If I have a life crisis, she's the first one I call...Last year when my grandparents were dying and I felt as if the world was caving in around me I would just call her in the middle of a breakdown and know she would listen to me and say JUST the right thing...she's been my local emergency contact on all "kid" forms I fill out.  I have had a horrible habit of referring to her has "Erin, my college roommate", but she's so much more than that.  There are very few people that you would trust with ANY-THING...and she's one of them...Heck, when I found out I was pregnant with Jay, JB was traveling and was out of town...Erin came over and she found out before him!


Did I mention she also had a baby (The cutest and happiest little girl I have EVER seen!) and breastfed...and is an amazing mother...while IN med-school...and graduated with honors in BOTH academic and volunteer categories!


Inspiration #3.  Tara is the glue that holds us all together.  She's hilarious.  Every time we are together she has witty remarks for everything...her laugh is SO contagious!  I can sing loud, act out an SNL skit and just plain be silly and she will join me...loving every minute of it!  After graduation she moved to Charleston for her job.  She was the first to move away, and I thought that was SO brave.  She has bought a condo on her own, excelled at her job, met many new friends, runs races and just received her MBA.  A child at heart, she's "Aunt T" to our brood...and ALL of the brood was there at her graduation!


We've all come so FAR from Wade Hampton...almost 11 years ago.  I'm thankful that I have this core group of friends.  Friends that, if they have something to say,...they just say it.  Friends that don't talk about each other.  Friends that, even as time goes by, time stands still.  Friends that, you can say one word, or one phrase, and everyone is laughing so hard I have the hiccups.  Friends that know if we laugh too hard "Sally's going to get the hiccups!".  Friends that build you up, not break you down.  Friends that complement each other and make one another feel extra special.  Friends that are there for you no matter what happens in your life.  They are my girls and I am truly blessed to have them in my life.

3 comments:

Johanna V. said...

Sally, what a lovely tribute to all of us. If I had a blog you would be all over it. Of course, you got your life together way before the rest of us. Building a beautiful marriage, home, career, and family way before the rest of us even started. Technically, I've been a mommy longer, but you're my "go-to-mommy" for all advice. Thanks for your amazing friendship. Saba! Jojo

Unknown said...

Sal, thanks so much for the blog about "the gals!" It actually made me tear up! Had SO much fun with you all 2 weekends ago. And you're right--when we get together it's like no time has gone by at all. I am proud of all of us as well and am very thankful and blessed to have such wonderful friends. Love you!

Erin said...

Sally you cannot image how unbelievably special this post is and how special you make each of us feel. Just got internet hooked up here and like Tara totally teared up reading this. All I can say is that I have learned so much from our friendship and couldn't have a better role model as a new mother! Love!