Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Pats...

I took a stab at corned beef and cabbage this year.  I cooked it in the crockpot and it was delicious!  I am 1/4 Irish, but I wasn't exactly sure WHY this was an Irish meal.  After watching a series of videos on History.com today I feel much more informed!  I also learned more about St. Patrick, why we wear green, and leprechauns.  (Reason #32 why the internet is awesome!)

-Corned beef and cabbage is an Irish-American meal.  During a 10 year span around the Great Potato Famine, +/- 1 million Irish immigrants came to NYC.  They were very poor.  In Ireland for a special meal they would cook bacon and potatoes, but in NYC all they could afford was corned beef and cabbage (since both were very inexpensive). 



Yum...green milk!


...And green cake!  (Bet had a dilemma.  In the car on the way home she stated that she wanted to wear her dance outfit tonight to bake the cake.  We told her that she could, but she may get pinched because it wasn't green.  She came downstairs in this ensemble.  Creative.)


Mom tip:  Instead of bringing out the cake box the night of baking, set it out on the counter and tell the kids that you will be making it on (insert special occasion here).  They will look forward to it ALL week and will be super excited when it's finally time to bake!  Mine are so funny.  They've been planning ALL week...who will pour, who will stir, who will lick what...


The cake tasted better than this pic makes it look!


We finished up the day with a family walk and some backyard play time.  It's only week one of extra daylight and I can already tell the difference... Outside play time makes for very happy kids!



What is the most recent thing you have learned on the internet?

1 comment:

Brantley said...

I did a corn beef brisket in the crock pot also -- for the first time ever! It was good and the leftovers made good sandwiches today.